Sunday, December 8, 2013

Seven Steps to Making a Gender Reveal Box

(Not interested in this post? Skip to the bottom and click on the link to watch a four minute film of life in the womb. It is the best one I've seen so far!)

For those of you who have asked how I made the balloon box for our surprise gender reveal, here are the directions! There are many ideas out there that involve spray painting the box, wrapping the box in paper, or using markers to draw the letters, but I like the method we went with the best. All credit goes to my better-half...I am just not very creative! 

1. You will need packing tape, glue, and scissors



2. I purchased some colorful card stock from Target, but you can also use construction paper. 



3. There are all different sizes of boxes that people use for this project, but I went with an Extra-Large cardboard box from Home Depot (labeled X-Large). This size fits a regular piece of poster board almost perfectly. Speaking of which, you will need to purchase four black poster boards. Don't tape them to the box until step 6.

4. To make the circles, I used three different sized objects- a bowl, a candle holder, and a mug. I cut these circles out of the cardstock and glued them on the poster. 


5. I am HORRIBLE at drawing bubble letters so I went to this website and printed off the letters I needed for my box. I used plain white paper for "it's a..." and traced letters out of the cardstock for "GIRL" and "BOY".  Once you have your letters cut out you can paste them onto your posters!


6. After your posters are decorated, tape one poster to the front, and one to each side. Cut the last poster in two pieces and tape them to the flaps. Don't worry about the back of the box as it will not be visible in the pictures :)


7. Okay, so now that the box is finished, you just need to fill it up with pink or blue balloons! My husband and I wanted to be surprised along with our family, so we had the doctor write down the gender of our munchkin onto a piece of paper after our ultrasound. We took the sealed envelope (it was hard not to peek!) to a local grocery store and purchased 12 pink or blue balloons. While we waited outside, they blew up the balloons for us and put them in the box--making sure to tape the lid tight!

It was a lot of fun to make a big deal over this milestone, since we had to be cautious with our emotions at first. However you may decide to announce the gender of your little one, never forget what an awesome privilege it is to carry a tiny life inside of you. If you have four minutes of time, check out this amazing video of life in the womb- 9 months in 4 minutes. ..."admire the perfect creation of God"...

Life is precious!
~Charity~


No comments:

Post a Comment