Monday, November 18, 2013

**Special Anniversary Edition**Three Reasons I Am Thankful for Facebook

Last weekend my husband surprised me by taking me to Boone, NC to celebrate our second year of marital bliss.  We had a fabulous time strolling the old streets and reliving memories of being in Boone for our honeymoon. (This time, pleasantly accompanied by our little Munchkin, of course). If you ever pass through the Boone area, you absolutely must eat breakfast, lunch, or dinner (or all three) at the Dan'l Boone Inn.  They serve a family-style meal that is simply scrumptious. Oh, and save room at the end for the peach cobbler--it's divine! 
Jared's Post-Dinner Picture
I Definitely Ate for Two!












And now on to the topic of today's post: Why I am thankful for Facebook. (I promise you, it is not as random as it seems). 

3. Facebook keeps me up-to-date on the lives of old friends and those that live miles away. I'm sure this is the top reason why most people have facebook...

2. Facebook keeps me informed on weather conditions and current events.
How would I know when the first snowflake hits the ground or when it's extremely hot outside without seeing someone's status update? Also, since we do not have tv, I rely solely on Facebook to keep me updated on Miley Cyrus escapades and college football scores. Ok, I really could care less about these things to be honest :-)

And the #1 reason why I am thankful for Facebook?:

1. Facebook connected me to Jared Decker.




On March 10, 2011, I received my first letter from my future husband. His buddies had set up a facebook account for him while he was deployed to Afghanistan. One day, Facebook decided it would be appropriate to suggest me as a potential friend to Jared. He saw my picture and remembered me from our college days (I was a junior and he was a freshman during college...we barely knew each other) and he decided he would casually "check in" and see how I was doing. No big deal, right? I now know that it took him several days to write and send this "simple" little message :) I knew enough of his reputation to eagerly respond to his friendly greeting and the rest is history...

For about a month we corresponded through letters alone. Since then, I have compiled all of our messages and emails during that first month into a book--it was such a special and exciting time learning all about each other.  It didn't take long for me to see that this man loved the Lord and was striving to walk in a an honorable and upright manner. People talk about the things they love... Jared loved (loves) Jesus. He didn't just have head knowledge about God and know all the right Sunday school answers to impress me; he had a living and active relationship with his Savior. And from 5000 miles away, he began to steal my heart...  



In April, I called him for the first time while running a half marathon (I was actually returning his call;-) I had waited until then because I thought it would be a good opportunity to try to impress him, haha. It did. Jared thought he would clean his guns to impress me. Even though the background noise was extremely loud from his gun-cleaning, he still managed to impress me too. 

After completing several successful phone conversations, we decided to move forward in our relationship and talk via Skype--it was getting pretty serious now!!! Seriously though, it was love at first Skype ;-). He was even more good-looking than in his pictures, which I had browsed through several times (ok, more like millions of times). Thankfully, the fact that we were in different countries and confined to a twelve-inch screen kept us from getting too physically distracted and our dates consisted purely of face-to-face conversation- no movies, no board games, no dinner- just talking. The ten hour time difference made it tricky, but we still managed to talk for 2-5 hours each day (unless he was out on mission) and continue our letter-writing. We kept our families very involved in our budding relationship and were thankful to find support from each side. We both had a feeling that this was something worth investing in. And it was... 

On July 27, 2011, I met Jared's family at Fort Bragg to welcome home their son and my soulmate from the battlefield. A new chapter began that day as we experienced life together in 3D. It was clear that God had designed us for each other. We told each other 'I love you' for the first time not long after his return and thirty-six days later he put a ring on my finger...


The First Day We Officially "Met"

On November 12, 2011, I married the man of my dreams. Well, actually, that's not true. He is more than I could have dreamed up. The Lord knew what type of man I needed, though, and I am humbled at how He wove our lives together in His perfect timing and by His awesome sovereignty. I am blessed beyond measure to have the privilege of doing life along side this man. 



So you see my friends, this is the story of how I became Decker's wife. And it all began with a Facebook message... :).

To God be the glory great things He has done!
~Charity~




2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing your story Charity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Caelen! Thanks for the comment and for reading my blog :)

      Delete